Leanna Andres Nuss
Leanna Andres Nuss, daughter of David and Mary Snyder Andres, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., Dec. 19, 1838, and departed this life at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Anna Byers, Polo, Ill., Aug. 28, 1912. After spending her earlier days in her native state, she was joined in holy wedlock, on Jan. 24, 1860, to John Mahlon Nuss of that vicinity. They became the parents of eight children. Four years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Nuss came west, landing in Jo Daviess County, Ill. Some years afterward they removed to Lena, and it was from this latter residence that the husband was, on May 1, 1908, called to his eternal abiding place. After his death, the wife made her home with her children, where she was most kindly cared for. Mrs. Nuss was a woman who was possessed of may estimable traits of character. She was converted in early youth, and became a member of the German Methodist church. After her marriage she transferred her membership to her husband's church, the German reformed church. Her membership was gain changed, after the death of her husband, when she cast her lot with the church attended by herself and husband during their residence in Lena - Amity Lutheran church. She was a devoted member of this church, and regular attendant at the services, whenever her physical condition permitted. Six weeks prior to her demise she went to Polo to visit her daughters. A few weeks later she contracted a cold which developed into pneumonia. There survive to morn her loss two sons, Levi A. of Lena, Ill., and John Mahlon, of Fort Morgan, Colo., and four daughters, Mrs. Sarah Ohlwine, Mrs. Anna Byers and Mrs. Mary Dennis of Polo, Ill., and Miss Barbara Nuss of Lena, Ill. She also leaves eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild. One sister is still living, Mrs. Mary Yeakle of East Greenville, Pa. The remains were brought to Lena, Friday noon, and the funeral services were held that afternoon, at the home of her son, L.A. Nuss. Dr. C.E. Derr, pastor of Amity Lutheran church officiated, and a large number of relative and friends were present to pay the last tribute of respect to one who, for so long a time, had been a resident of the section.