Luther G. Hale
Luther G. Hale, after an active and successful career, has retired to private life, and in the enjoyment of a handsome home in Freeport, is spending his later years in the midst of plenty and comfort, secured by labor in the earlier years of his manhood. He came to the West about 1838 and first entered a hardware store in Kenosha, Wis., whence he removed to Geneva Lake, and established in business for himself. In 1853 he disposed of his interests there, and set up in the same business at Freeport, where he was engaged until 1857. Then selling out, he entered the office of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Co., at Freeport, which position he occupied for a period of eighteen years, in the meantime laying aside from a good salary sufficient upon which to retire. He is now usually found at his pleasant residence on the corner of Stephenson and West streets. His home dwelling is a handsome structure, surrounded with beautiful grounds, ornamented with evergreen and forest trees. He has four lots, and the whole comprises a valuable property, and one complete in its entirety as any home within or adjacent to the city. Mr. Hale and his estimable wife are passing down the hill of life, a happy, cheerful old couple and a fine illustration of well-spent lives.
Mr. Hale was born in the town of Brandon, Rutland Co., Vt., Aug. 18, 1818, and is the son of Dr. Josiah W. Hale, a successful physician, and distinguished as one of the strongest Abolitionist of that time. Dr. Hale was a native of New Hampshire, and married Miss Rhoda Green, daughter of William Green, who served as a solider in the Revolutionary War. After removing from his native State, he commenced practice near Salisbury, Vt., where he continued successfully many years and thence removed to Brandon, where he spent the remained of his days, his death taking place in 1851. The mother had died in early life, when her son Luther was a mere lad. The parental household included five children, and our subject was the only son, and is now the only survivor of the family.
Mr. Hale was reared and educated in his native county, completing his studies in Casselton Seminary. Upon starting out for himself in life, he first engaged as a clerk, in which capacity he served seven years. His subsequent movements we have already indicated. The wife of our subject was formerly Miss Sarah J. Fitch, of Kinderbook, N.Y. They were married Aug. 2, 1849. Mrs. Hale is the daughter of Albert B. Fitch, who died of cholera in Kenosha, in 1849, and by her union with our subject became the mother of three children: Albert F., now agent in the depot of the St. Paul Railroad; Edith, who died when eighteen years of age, and Elsie, who remains at home with her parents.
Mr. Hale when first becoming a voter, was a member of the hold Whig party, but since its abandonment has cordially endorsed Republican principles. During the course of a long and worthy life, he has gathered around him scores of friends, and is the favorite of both young and old.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill., containing Full Page Portraits, and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, together with Portraits and Biographies of all the governors of Illinois and of the Presidents of the United States, printed by the Chapman Brothers, Chicago, IL, 1888
Transcribed by D. Joshua Taylor, May 2005.