James H. Brown, Postal Clerk on the Chicago, Forreston, & Dubuque Railroad, United States Mail Series, owns a good property on section 14, Lancaster Township, including 220 acres, and in connection with this has charge of about 100 acres additional, of which he has the supervision and keeps well stocked with good grades of domestic animals, including horses, cattle, and Poland-China hogs, and making a specialty of the latter. His land is under a good state of cultivation and supplied with convenient farm buildings, including a handsome and commodious residence which is finely located and occupying a rise or ground commanding a fine view of the surrounding country for eighteen miles away. Mr. Brown has been in possession of his present farm since 1882. He also owns a section of land in Lincoln County, Dak, a part of which is under cultivation and is becoming quite valuable. He became connected with the mail service in 1872, his first route being on the Chicago & Northwestern, where he was a trusted employee for a period of seven years, and in 1879 was proffered his present position.
Mr. Brown was born in Rock Run Township, this county, June 5, 1843. His early studies were conducted in the common school, and he subsequently took a course at the Bryan & Stratton Business College in Chicago. The coming on of the Civil War interfered considerably with his first plans in life, as he considered it his duty to assist in the preservation of the Union, and accordingly enlisted in the 144th Illinois Infantry and marched with his comrades to the scene of conflict. Going down into Tennessee, they were first engaged in the attempted capture of Gen. Price, who however, escaped that time. Our subject served his term of enlistment, and although meeting the enemy at different times and places, was neither wounded nor taken prisoner, and his health was preserved to such an extent that he was always able to report for duty. After retiring from the service he engaged as a general merchant in Dakota Village, and began to lay his plans for the establishment of a permanent home. One of the first important steps was his marriage with Miss Sarah C. Young, which took place at the home of the bride's parents in Silver Creek Township, Dec. 31, 1867. Mrs. Brown is the daughter of Capt. William and Sarah Ann (Reitzell) Young, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Illinois in the pioneer days. She was born in Lancaster Township, Oct. 19, 1845, and completed her education at Rockford Seminary. Afterward she engaged in teaching. Of her her marriage with our subject there were born six children, namely Nellie C., William Y., Hattie J., Ada H., Mattie E., and Clark J.
Mr. and Mrs. Brown after their marriage located in Rock Run, Dak., and then in this county, and became connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, which they still continue. They enjoy the society and friendship of a large circle of acquaintances, and are numbered among the best residents of this county. Mr. Brown votes the straight Republican ticket is a man prompt to meet his obligations, and fulfills in all respects the duties of an influential and responsible member of the community.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill., containing Full Page Portraits, and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, together with Portraits and Biographies of all the governors of Illinois and of the Presidents of the United States, printed by the Chapman Brothers, Chicago, IL, 1888
Transcribed by D. Joshua Taylor, May 2005.